Labels

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Shopping shopping shopping


So today we basically did what the title implies-we shopped. And shopped. And shopped. It was actually a lot of fun because Korean stores (at least the ones marketed for young adults) are generally very cheap. The area we went to was Idae, or Ehwa women's university, and it has a lot of girly shops because the school by it is all girls. However, I did see a lot of guy/girl shoe stores, some guy t shirt shops, and a lot of snap back shops  (with explicit, bad English sayings, of course). Before shopping we went into seven eleven to buy food, which may sound weird and sketchy to Americans, but seven eleven food is actually really good. I got an onigiri, which is just rice/meat in a triangle covered with seaweed. It was jeonju bibimbap flavored, which means it was a bit spicy! I quite liked it, and for about eighty cents, it was a delicious breakfast.

Even though I said I did a lot of shopping, a lot of it was necessity type stuff. I bought a new backpack because mine broke and school supplies, because I didn't bring any and we need a lot of paper. The socks, stickers, and dress were definitely not necessities, but they were worth it! One interesting thing is that here a lot of street shops and cheap clothing shops have "one size" clothes, which means that they only carry one size that is supposed to fit all. Baggy tops and dresses are really popular here so most of the stuff would have fit me, but some of the more form fitting stuff is a hit or miss depending on the shape. You just have to look closely, but honestly most of the stuff was under fifteen dollars so if it didn't fit right it wasn't a big deal (they don't really have changing rooms either). The shoe sizes here are also really small, so be prepared if you have big feet!
After shopping we went for Korean fried chicken, which had been hyped up so much before the trip. I thought it would jut taste like normal chicken but NO IT WAS AWESOME! It was perfect. Seriously. 
Then we walked back to the station and took the subway to school. Class is interesting- I wouldn't call it hard, but it's definitely challenging. There is a lot of vocab to memorize, and we have a quiz tomorrow. Some of the stuff is review, but the fact that we are going so fast through the textbook makes the class pretty whirlwind-y. At least nothing gets old or boring because there is always something you can study! 
Dinner tonight was also interesting haha. I ate alone because my host mom had to pick up my little sister from school/taekwondoe. 
I've gotten used to bit knowing what I am eating, and despite my host family's attempt to tell me, I still really don't understand haha. Most of it is pretty good though, so it don't mind. My host mom still wants me to eat more though, so I purposefully don't eat a snack for a while before I come home haha. That way I'll have the largest appetite possible so I can eat a lot of dinner! 
I'm super tired so I am going to bed, but the days have been packed and so much fun so I don't regret waking up early to do stuff! 


No comments:

Post a Comment