Labels

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Gyeongbukgung at night!


So today was a lot of fun but I am tired, as usual, and in writing this on my subway ride home. I have a feeling I am going to be perpetually tired the next week, but it's totally worth it.
First, today we had a supporter meeting in Dongdaemun. The subway station there is so long, I walked like a mile before I got to the exit that I wanted to be at haha. I'm also just really bad at reading subway exit signs (I once got out on the wrong one and was so far away from the right one I had to scan back in, walk trough the part where the trains go, and get out on the other side. I would rather waste a dollar than get lost in the streets of Seoul haha). 
But we walked around the exhibition area a little bit and then went to a cafe. The exhibition hall park is so beautiful and modern and cool it makes me really happy. Plus, we walked by some old floodgates that were uncovered during the building of the museum and I took some pictures of course. Hooray for old things! The history here is so interesting because sadly Korean history (and Asian history in general) isn't taught extensively in US classrooms so it's really cool to hear about it here and then actually see the places. 
After walking around and cafe-ing We went out to lunch in a mall type place that, if I recall correctly, was called "Food World". It was basically a maze of various restaurants and food stands and it smelled delicious. We got Japanese food, a type of cold noodle with a dipping broth that you put it in. I had had in once before with my pen pal, and it was just as good the second time! 
Over lunch we discussed ideas for our final project and then we headed out for the university. Classes were a lot of fun today for some reason, and we tried a different convenience store during break instead of the mini stop (because it's embarrassing when the guy basically knows you because you go there so much). I got bread and I thought it was sweet but it turned out it was cheese. It tasted like Cheetos and sadness. I also got chocolate mushrooms though, which are the most delicious cookies ever and I have developed a serious obsession. Half my carry on is going to be chocolate mushrooms, no joke. 
After class we met up to go to Gyeongbukgung at night! They only open up the palace at night twice, for very short amounts of time so we were really lucky to get to go. We stood in line to but tickets first, and then we went out to dinner (NOODLES!). 
After dinner we returned to the palace to see it at dark. The nsliy photographer took a ton of pictures there, but all of the pictures I took really don't do it justice. It was breathtaking and I loved it. Only parts of the palace were open because it might be hard to do crowd control in the dark, and maybe also because only certain parts of the palace have light on them. But the palace itself is huge, so just imagine how it looked in the dark, all lit up. 
The outside gate. 
The next place was definitely the prettiest- a building that my supporter said was used for parties with foreign officials, that had a pool underneath it which reflected all of the lights in the building. 
Apparently the pool that the palace is surrounded by represents the earth- I don't want to misremember the details but definitely look up the history of the palace if you are interested! It is really interesting. 
We walked around for a little bit more after this, but I had to leave early because my host mom wanted me home by 10:30 tonight. It's fine though- since the palace wasn't all open I saw basically everything, the only thing I might have missed out on was a group picture or two! Once I get a hold of the professional pictures I'll definitely put them on here! 
Since I had to go early I walked alone through city hall to the subway station and it felt amazing. I love Seoul so much I can't handle it sometimes. Also, I found some really cute buildings and a cat statue while I was there! Of course I took pictures like a tourist haha. 
But I made it home in time and I had a great day. Here's a group picture to top it off, photo creds to another nsliy student. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment