Labels

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Korean market!

So today was another day with our supporters, and this time we went to a traditional Korean market!
First of all, I was almost late for our meeting because I set my alarm for eight pm instead of eight am. Nice going Tatum. But everyone ended up arriving on time and we went to a cafe with a very questionable name. The "Twosome" cafe is everywhere in Korea but we all think the name sounds a little weird haha. And it's advertised by Lee Minho and so his face is on EVERYTHING. 
No one in our group really drinks coffee, so we all just end up ordering juice when we go to cafés. However, three of us made the decision today to order milkshakes (at ten o'clock in the morning) and they were pretty good. 
I didn't take many pictures of the market or what we ate, which I regret, but after finishing up our studies at the cafe we went there. Korean markets like this sell EVERYTHING- from food to clothes to toys, anything you could possibly want you could find in some form here. Apparently this particular market is famous for its "traditional Korean pancakes" aka some sort of fried bean paste mixed with vegetables (this is all information I'm remembering from my supporter so it may or may not be completely accurate). We tried it and it was actually really good! But then again, what fried street food in Korea ISN'T delicious (I take that back there is probably some weird stuff out there). Then we walked around a little bit more and bought "Korean traditional cookies" which we are after lunch. I have no idea what was in them but they were really greasy and rich and good. My supporter said not to eat them if we were on a diet, but honestly who would come to Korea on a diet? The food here is worth gaining weight for, seriously. 
Then we went to have our main course, which turned out to be a little bit of trouble. Our supporter had told us that we were eating "Korean beef sushi" but we didn't understand until we got to the restaurant that the beef was RAW. We didn't want to eat raw meat so we ended up stopping in another restaurant to eat. There we ate the second thing the market is famous for- kimbap. Aptly nicknamed "drug kimbap". These kimbaps were like little mini kimbap rolls, with very few ingredients. They were so cute and perfectly sized I could see how you could get addicted haha. 
After the market we headed back to school and I was exhausted. We also got really hungry during break so we ran (like literally, ran) to the convenience store next door to buy boxes of snacks for our table. We basically had a convenience store pot luck in our group, and it was awesome. I'll definitely miss Korean convenience store food. 
After class I went to hongdae for the first time and had Oreo bingsu at a cafe! It was delicious omg, but it was more like ice cream than bingsu. 
The cafe was adorbs too. 

Also look what we saw! 
But I had to get home because of curfew so I rode the subway back and ate dinner. Fun day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment