Labels

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Saturday in Sunny Seoul!

So today was really fun, but also pretty relaxing, which was just what I needed. After a long week of morning activities followed by school followed by night activities with nsliyians or the fam, it really does get tiring no matter how enjoyable it is. Today I didn't have any plans until twelve, so I took a much needed morning off and slept in. Last night I made kimbap with the host family so I had nice tummy-full-of-deliciousness sleep. Also, I figured out how to close my blinds (finally) so I could actually sleep through sunrise!
After I woke up I made breakfast and was just chillin in front of the tv when someone walked in (I have no idea who it was but she was there for a little bit and I felt all gross and morning-y so I went back to my room). 
Then I left to visit a friend who lives in Seoul and it was so much fun! We went to insadong, and we got to explore around a little bit more. She had done a lot of research on where to eat there and so we went to this really good restaurant and had rice cake/dumpling soup. It was omgahmazing, of course. Possibly the best soup I've had here so far! 
It had dumplings floating on top and a ton of little rice cake balls on the bottom! It was heaven. Then with out stomachs full we went walking around. We got dragon honey candies and they were sooooo good (but really different tasting-they are a Korean traditional candy). It was also really fun to see them make it, they are so funny haha. We also wanted to go inside the Alive museum there but the tickets were a but expensive, so we took sticker pictures instead! My friend was a pro at sticker picture decorating, so they came out really well. 
Then we went and ate some more (she commented that all we did was eat today, and I'm like LOL ALL I EVER DO IN KOREA IS EAT, NO JOKE). She had found a traditional tea house and it was so good, better than the last traditional tea house I went to! The drinks were cheaper first of all, and then we got way more things for service (aka free) than in the other place! It was also really adorable and well decorated, I really enjoyed it! 
After getting tea we walked around insadong some more and then decided to go to gyeongbukgung area, which is only one station over from Insadong. We got a little lost, but eventually found in. They had some sort of festival set up around the king Sejung statue, they were doing free Korean calligraphy, so of course we had to get some! It was really cool to see calligraphy being done, I've never seen it before! 
After that we looked around in the king Sejung museum and then split ways (but not after eating a warhead together, I forgot how sour they were and immediately regretted my decision to eat one). 
When I got home my host mom had made dinner, but after dinner me and my host sister made fruit ice cream in one of those machines that makes frozen frut into ice cream/shaved ice. Then we played wii for a little bit. Yay for bonding time! 












No comments:

Post a Comment