Labels

Friday, July 25, 2014

Haircut!

So today was a lot of fun, as usual. First we met up with our supporter group and another supporter group to experience traditional Korean natural dyeing (or something like that). Basically we tie dyed with a natural dye called indigo blue, which has been used here for centuries. Natural dyeing is an "intangible" part of Korean heritage so the government wants to keep it alive even though it's not as visible as the palaces and old architecture around the city. Therefore the guy we met today who taught us about the dyeing process was actually appointed by the government to help carry on the tradition! Cool, right? But anyways indigo blue is a fermented dye so it smelled a little weird but he told us that "we would look like miss universe if we used it on our skin" because it's healthy for you. Also, you would look like a smurf. But whatever.
Some people from the state department who were visiting Korea dropped by to say hi and check out what we were doing, and then we went out to lunch! We had a feast, it was ridiculous and awesome and delicious and I can't believe we ate that. It was at an actual legit alleyway Korean restaurant and it was beautiful and the food was on point omg. 
After lunch we dd our studying and recording and then headed back on the subway to class. It was raining all day, which sucks and meant my socks got all wet, but it was also pretty fun. 
After class I did the unthinkable- I got a haircut. It wasn't extreme or anything I just got a trim, but he didn't speak any English and I didn't speak much Korean so I just used hand gestures to tell him how I wanted my hair. He actually took off a lot more than I wanted him to but I think it was because A. I had a ton of dead ends and B. My frizzy summer hair looks completely dead compared to glossy Korean hair so he probably cut it more because he thought my hair was in pretty bad shape. Also, I got awesome layers and side bangs. Also, he curled it and blow dried it. Also, it was about 45 minutes and ONLY COST 15$! Ridiculous. Plus you don't tip in Korea so it really was fifteen dollars haha. It looks so much better now that it is a little cleaned up and I'm happy I went! The place we went to was right next to school and mostly targeted towards guys but I asked if they did girl hair cuts and they said yes so we just went for it! It turned out pretty well too so I'm happy! 
After haircuts I went home and ate dinner with the host family, etc. it was a pretty good day~ 






No comments:

Post a Comment