Labels

Friday, July 4, 2014

Fourth of July!

Spending the Fourth of July in Korea was a bit weird, but it was still really fun! I couldn't find any red white and blue clothes so I just wore a white shirt (good enough haha).
This morning we went to go try on Hanbok (Korean traditional dress), in theory, at least. Korean addresses are a headache to find, and google maps doesn't actually work so we got lost and frustrated. We went into a coffee shop to take a break and it was actually really cute. It was a small independent coffee shop, and even though the coffee wasn't the best I've had here, the atmosphere was really nice. It had a bunch of specialty drinks but the menu was all in Korean so we just got the drinks we knew, for the most part (I got a caramel latte because I needed coffee but I'm not really a coffee person haha). Then we wandered back to the subway exit we started at and FOUND THE HANBOK PLACE! Unfortunately, it only takes walk in reservations so it was booked until three, when we would be in class. It's free and has over fifty different types of dress to choose from so we decided to come back before it opened one day so we could be sure to have a reservation before school starts. At least we had a sneak peak today, and it was really cool! 
After the failed hanbok adventure, we went down to the underground mall in the subway. There were so many cheap kpop stores so of course I had to buy something haha. I bought my first kpop album! Akdong musician, the artist I've been addicted to lately haha. I think I might go back for a poster or gifts later, unless I wander into a cheaper store somewhere else. 
Also, on the way to school, we had Korean pizza for the first time! Yes, there was corn in the pizza. But then again, there is corn in everything here so why should I be surprised? We ate the pizza while walking to school and it was actually really good! I've heard of some freaky Korean pizza flavors (sweet potato crust? Cream cheese as sauce?) so one day I'll have to go and try them with another brave soul. Also, today I noticed how much we've been buying drinks out of the vending machine by our classroom. I guess my new goal is to drink every drink in the machine before the end of the program (if I am diligent about it, I could probably go through it twice or three times). 
Class today was pretty fun, the pace is picking up so it's more exciting! I have a lot of studying to do this weekend though, haha. But on the way home from class me and a few other nsliyians stopped by Paris Baguette (a bakery chain in Korea. They are literally everywhere haha) and bought small cakes for out host family since it's the fourth of July! I wrote the word for Independence Day on my hand so I could explain to my host mom why I bought cake haha. I think she thought it was funny xD. My little sister was at after school tutoring (I think that's the best English equivalent to it, it's basically a second private school Korean students go to after real school to study) so I ate alone, but after she got home and ate we had cake together! Then I brought out the sparklers and glow sticks to celebrate the Fourth of July with my host sister~ it was really cute haha. I explained to her that today was Americas birthday so that's why we were celebrating, and I think she understood my awful Korean explanation haha. We went to the park and cracked some glow sticks and then I lit all three tiny sparklers for her. A bunch of kids came over and wanted one too, but since I ran out of mini sparklers I gave them the rest of the glow sticks I had and they all sat around and played for a while. My host sister ran back to get racket ball rackets and we played that for a little while, even though we were really bad. She was keeping score but I didn't quite understand who was winning or not haha. One of the things I can't get over is how safe Korea is. I mean, or course I still use my common sense because I'm in a foreign country, but we were in a small inner city park after dark and the only people there were little kids (a lot of them alone) and middle school students who had come to hang out after school ended. Stuff like that really makes you think about how different the two countries you are in really are. Also, I always get really philosophical on the subway because I'm all alone and have a lot of time to think- I always look around and really take in my surroundings. It's moments like that when you realize that you are all alone in a foreign country, but it feels like a good type of alone-ness. That's why the walk to the subway station early in the morning has become one of my favorite parts of the day. Not many visitors to Korea get to see the true residential areas of the country and it's really interesting to just walk through the streets and really soak it all up. 
On a side note, there is a market right by my house (like an open air, bartering Korean market) and I'm working up the courage to walk through it on my way home from school. Maybe I'll even barter, who knows. It looks really cool though, so I'll definitely check it out before I leave! Also, sorry for the lack of pictures today! I had planned on wearing hanbok and posting pics, but that didn't happen haha. 안녕~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment