Labels

Monday, July 28, 2014

Final Project

So today was another weekly meeting before class, except this time we were able to showcase out final project that we had been researching!
I woke up late this morning so I rushed out of the house without eating, so as soon as I got out if the subway I got chocolate milk from the convenience store (yes I ate chocolate milk for breakfast NO ADULTS=NO RULES). We had to tape our information to the board and we were pressed for time but it turned out well in the end! Our topic was in Korean superstitions and I forgot to take a picture of our board so I'll just explain some of the superstitions right now! Disclaimer though: not all Koreans believe these things, just like superstitions in the US, and also keep in mind that the US superstitions are pretty weird too (salt over your shoulder? Breaking mirrors? Try explaining to a Korean person why opening umbrellas inside is bad. Good luck). 
1) Fan Death. If you are in a closed room with an electric fan the fan will suck all of the oxygen out of the room and you will die, or you will get hypothermia and die. 
2) Red Ink. It is really bad if you write someone's name in red ink because red ink was traditionally used to record the names of the deceased in family registrars. Writing someone's name in red is basically wishing death upon them. 
3) Cutting fingernails at night. This superstition says that if you cut your fingernails at night nice will eat the clippings and steal your soul/take your form/turn into a human! 
4) if you touch a butterfly or a moth and then touch your eye you will go blind. 
5) Blood types! Just like some people in the US believe in horoscopes, many people here believe your personality can be determined by your blood type. Look it up, it is super interesting! 
6) whistling at night summons ghosts and snakes 
That's all I can remember but they were really interesting to learn about! After the presentations we went to get cake before lunch (for the reason cited above- NO RULES) and it was so cute and delicious! The cafe was adorable and the cake was really good too! 
I had Earl Grey cake but I also took a picture of my friends chocolate cake because it looked beautiful as well. 
Since we used almost all of our lunch time eating cake we picked up 1.50$ kimbap on the way to Sogang and ate in the classroom before class started haha. Class was good, as usual, and the breaks included mini mart runs, as usual. After class I came straight home because my host family wanted to eat jjajangmyeon (짜장면) with me, which is basically koreanized Chinese food (just like we eat Americanized Chinese food in the US). It was really good! After that we went out to eat bingsu (of course). I didn't get a picture before I destroyed it all, but I remembered to snap one before I completely mixed it up. Here's what bingsu looks like when it's not all pretty haha. You're supposed to mix it up before you eat it anyways ^_^ 
After that I came home and now in exhausted and so full I can barely moved. Oh Korea. 





No comments:

Post a Comment