Labels

Friday, June 17, 2016

Monday through Thursday

Monday I went to work (and had omelet rice for the first time, to the delight of my Japanese roommate. Omelet rice is basically an omelet on top of rice, with ketchup and mayo and another sauce that is actually Japanese I'm pretty sure). Monday night my Taiwanese roommate had her first day of work so she came home at 8 o'clock and hadn't had dinner yet. Therefore, we had to order food out of course. We ordered Jokbal, which, know that I look it up, I'm realizing means pork feet. I know both of the words separately but I never put it together... And that's why there was this giant bone at the bottom of the plate...and why it was so fatty...but it was actually delicious so oh well. When you order it it comes as a veritable feast, with various sauces, peppers, lettuce leaves and sesame leaves, and noodles as well. How people usually eat is is by wrapping the meat in a lettuce or sesame leaf and putting all of the toppings inside, which is called ssam. It was delicious and I highly recommend.
Tuesday I literally did nothing- I slept all day and didn't leave the house but it was nice to do nothing for a change so oh well.
Wednesday I had work all day but I met a few new people in the office, including a lady who used to live in France so she speaks French! She was really excited to find someone to practice French with but literally my mind was so confused I could barely manage a few sentences before switching back to Korean or English. That day someone also brought coffee, cakes, waffles, and patbingsu from a nearby cafe which was amazing, and of course I ate a ton of bingsu.
Wednesday night my roommate and I went to a language exchange at the You Are Here cafe, a cafe owned by Talk to Me in Korean, an online Korean language learning resource. We met a ton of really nice people and the cafe is super cute. Its like an American style house, with two stories and a front yard and everything. It is only about a five minute walk from our apartment so it is super convenient too.
On Thursday I met up with a pen pal I met around four years ago on a language exchange website. She is Chinese but going to school in Korean so we spoke Korean together which was interesting. We went to a cute cafe in Insadong and met up with a few of her friends, whom were all really nice.
Then yesterday work was fun but I was exhausted. I had omelet rice for lunch again (at a different restaurant though) and everyone was in a good mood.
After work on Friday I went and did a language exchange organized by the apartment I'm staying in, where they match you up with a tenant in another house who wants to learn your native language. We actually met at the You Are Here cafe and two of the workers recognized me from Wednesday and remembered my name (mostly because Tatum is really uncommon/sounds a little strange when pronounced in Korean). It was really fun but I really want my language classes to start! I love studying alone but now that I'm in Korea with the chance to take an actual class, I want to study in a classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment