Labels

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Last weekend before the NSLI-Y children

So Friday at work I was very productive in the morning but in the afternoon my supervisor was like "should I give you more work?" and I jokingly said "don't worry about it" so she didn't and instead I read almost an entire book on my phone just chilling in the office, which was nice. For lunch we went to "Flapjack Pantry" which was an American style pancake/brunch/sandwich place. I got a chicken sandwich and it was beautiful and delicious and I was v happy with that decision. When I came home in the afternoon my roommates and I waited for our other roommate to get back from her part time job (until 10:00) and then we went out to dinner. We had dalkgalbi which is like chicken and vegetables and rice cake cooked in a giant pot in front of you. They got it "not spicy" for my sake but it was still a little spicy, but I managed. Since my roommates were starving at that point (I had a bowl of pasta at 8:00 because i knew it would be a while) they were being really impatient while waiting for everything to cook. Korean restaurants are torturous sometimes-- you go hungry and have to watch your food cook in front of you before you can eat. After that we went to Thursday party, a bar that I had already been to before but its popular among Koreans with foreign friends so all my Korean friends always want to go here. Our two other roommates met us there around 12, and we joked that it was going to be an awkward walk together to the var for them-- one is French and the other is Japanese, but the French guy doesn't speak Korean and the Japanese girl doesn't speak English so they have no way of communicating. We stayed at the bar until 4:00 am and, in typical Korean fashion, we went to karaoke afterwards until 5:00.
By the time we came home the sun was going up, and it was light in our house by the time I got into bed. Needless to say, we all slept until 2:30 and then basically just lounged around all day until around 6:00 where my roommate and I went to buy ingredients for Korean fried rice. We were basically professional cooks and made friend rice with egg, potato, pepper, carrot, and onion and steamed cabbage/stuff idk it was delicious.
Then we watched a weird Korean thriller/horror/mystery movie called "The Wailing" which we all really didn't understand, even the Korean roommate because it was all in dialect. Today, Sunday, I woke up and got ready to go to lunch with a friend whom I did NSLI-Y with two years ago! It was super nice to catch up together and eat delicious American food at a brunch/lunch place called "Made."

She is doing a marketing internship now and did the press release/review for this place a few weeks ago so they gave up free garlic bread and cheese risotto mozzarella stick type things. I had the "American breakfast"- bread, cheesy eggs, hashbrowns, bread, and bacon, and she had Baked Ziti! Coming home I went to the bank and was feeling generous so I bought three chocolate ice creams and gave them out to my roommates when I got home. Then we played Rummikub, which I have no idea how my Korean roommate learned/where he bought it, but it was fun. Then I made a grilled cheese, my roommates made ramen, and then my roommate cooked a giant omelet with the leftover vegetables from last night and my 7-day-past-sell-date eggs for us all to share. I bought milk yesterday and they were all making fun of me telling me to drink it quickly because I had let my eggs almost go bad and they were scared for my other perishables.
Also bonus picture of the absurd amount of water bottles we have in our house right now. So one of our Korean guy roommates bought 20 tubes of toothpaste online last week because he figured out that if you buy in bulk like that things are a lot cheaper but we made fun of him because I don't think he can use 20 tubes of toothpaste anytime soon??? But then this past week I was walking up our stairs and in front of our gate on the second floor there was all of these water bottles stacked up outside of the gate. Immediately I knew whose it was because no one else is that crazy-- we don't have an elevator so you still have to carry all of those up two flights of stairs! He's like one of those people from "Extreme Couponers" because he was bragging about how each bottle cost approximately 30 cents USD but I still don't think it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment