Labels

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

NSLI-Y application

So, this year I applied for the NSLI-Y language program for the second time (and now I’m a semi-finalist, woo!) and I thought I’d share some application tips that I learned from my own experience. Obviously, this isn't applicable for anyone who already applied for the 2014-2015 programs, but maybe it will help others who are thinking about applying or reapplying for the scholarship! 

1) Research as much as you can about the scholarship first. I know this might sound dumb, but going into the application process with as much information about the scholarship and selection process helps you feel a lot more prepared. If you know what kind of students they are looking for and what kind of things they want to know about you, it definitely helps as you write your essays. At the end of the day, you want to portray yourself in the best light possible, so knowing what they are looking for can help guide you in the right direction.
2) Be yourself. This sounds like a given, but sometimes it is hard to convey your real personality on paper (especially with a 250 word limit). The first time I applied for NSLI-Y, my essays were too dry and formal. This year I tried to be a little more casual, inject a little humor here and there, and tried not to get too stuck on the prompt. 
3) Tell a story with your essays. This kind of relates back to number two in that stories give the reader a sense of who you really are. Plus, they are way more interesting than statement after statement. Instead of saying “I am really open to new experiences”, try and tell a short anecdote about when you tried something new. Stuff like that really livens up your writing. This past summer I was required to read the book “Essays that Worked for College Applications” and it inspired me to be more creative (I'm a dork, okay). 
4) Use your strengths. Last year I got too focused on describing every thing I was involved in after school in my self introduction essay and I feel like that really weighed it down. This year I talked a lot about what I was passionate about, and I sounded so much more excited and lively. Also, i made sure to highlight some of my notable achievements in the last year. Hey, you want to show them your “best self” so there is no harm in talking about all of the cool things you have done. Don’t brag, but don’t try and be too modest either. 
5) If anything, give it time. This tip can be used for one application or if your are reapplying. For one application, just remember to slow down and really think about what you want to say. Start the essays early so you have time to edit them. Have someone else read them if you can, and after you write them set them aside for a few days. When you revisit them you will probably be able to see the good and bad a little clearer so you can make the necessary corrections. If you got rejected and are reapplying, don’t worry about your first application (don’t even look at it). People change so much in a year, so there is no need to worry about your previous app. When I reread my essays from last years application they are cringe-worthy and embarrassing, but maybe that is a good thing- I have grown up so much since then. 
I hope these could help someone. Just remember to stay positive about the whole process and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get in. Rejection hurts, but just learn from it and move on to new opportunities (cheesy, but true). In other news, my semi-finalist interview is in a few days and I’m excited but also a little nervous. I’ll hope for the best and whatever happens, happens ^_^ 
(originally published January 20th on tumblr) 

No comments:

Post a Comment